11.03.2014

"I hope you will go out and let stories happen to you"


"I hope you will go out and let stories, that is life, happen to you, and that you will work with these stories...water them with your blood and tears and your laughter till they bloom, till you yourself burst into bloom."

Clarissa Pinkola Estes

I wrote this awhile back. But, thanks to weird internet, I'm just now getting it posted. It's funny though, because in the end, I don't think I feel like this anymore. I'm glad I had to go.

...

Sometimes I give you thoughts that originally were recorded in my journal. But they're rounded out, shaped up into something a little prettier than that raw, sometimes gritty truth. But today, sentences straight from my journal.... About leaving, about being here instead of there.

This is where you're tested. Do you really like adventure? Or just the thought of adventure?

"I am thankful to have experienced so much, even though I am young, and have a lot more to learn, and am so undeserving.

"I wish all this could be, yet I could be home too and be changed and formed like this trip will do to me -- without leaving.

"But that's not how it works. You must go. You must let stories happen to you."

You must go. You must jump. You must stretch. It hurts. It'll hurt. And you're uprooted. But this must happen. This is how adventure happens. And you go.

But it's so so so worth it. For all the experiences you have that couldn't happen anywhere else. And by the grace of God you find that you can bloom where you're planted.

And maybe, you find, suddenly, that your roots are comfortable again.

Man, I think I've come to love this place.

...

So that's that. And now, I miss that place.

3 comments:

  1. oh goodness. that's so true. do i really love adventure? or just the thought of adventure? learning to be content and live in the moment weather on an adventure or not is something to strive for.
    i understand writing things down, only to come back and read it again and it means something different.
    beautiful post.
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. haley janey! I have missed your words and your beautiful photographs. You are one of my many inspirations to start blogging again! Check out my little corner? http://h-anecdotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. this went straight to my heart. the older i get and the more adventures i find, i've realized it isn't all exactly the way tumblr, pintrest and the "hipsters" on social media portray it. i mean, i think it is, but often we take all the highlights of their adventures and leave out the hard parts. like the flat tires, wrong directions, and the times when the campgrounds are all full and the only option you have is an overpriced dinky hotel two hours away-- in those moments, the only thing your heart wants is just to be home, in your own bed, safe. i think there is a balance that you have to find-- you need to be able to choose adventure, because it's during the adventures that you find how beautiful home is. and adventure does teach you things that staying home never will, however sometimes i think it's okay to stay home and just breath.
    anyways, forgive my rambling. this is so so beautiful and just reading it made my heart feel alive.

    ReplyDelete